The tug-of-war between the Netherlands and Ghana over Timothy Fosu-Mensah has hit a new high as Danny Blind has called the Manchester United teenage defender to assure him of a place in the Dutch national team.
The move by the coach of the Dutch national team is calculated to prevent the teenage defender from playing for Ghana after the West Africans revealed their plans of capping the talented right-back.
This follows the confirmation by Steller Group, who look after Timothy Fosu-Mensah, that the Ghanaian national team are pursuing their client.
Insiders close to the player have told Ghanasoccernet.com that Blind called the youngster on Thursday night to assure him of a place in the Dutch national team in the coming days.
Playing the the Dutch senior national team for just one official match will forever prevent Ofosu-Mensah from playing for Ghana where his parents come from.
News of Ghana coach Avram Grant’s interest in the defender sparked the Netherlands boss Danny Blind, who lost both Oussama Tannane and Hakim Ziyech to Morocco recently, into action to stop him from playing for the four-time African champions.
Tt seems certain that Fosu-Mensah’s name will be included next month in the Dutch squad for friendlies with Poland, Republic of Ireland and Austria.
The young defender has made a huge impression for Manchester United in recent weeks and that has sparked a tug of war between the Netherlands and Ghana.
Fosu Mensah, who was born in Amsterdam but from Ghanaian parents, has represented Netherlands up to U19 level, but can still opt to switch his allegiances to Ghana.
Reports this week indicated that Ghana boss Avram Grant is to get in contact with the 18-year-old, and his agency have confirmed the news to Dutch newspaper AD.
A spokesperson for Steller Group said: “We have indeed been called, Ghana wants to persuade him to that country.’
10 times Micheal Essien made the headlines for the right reasons
Ghanaian midfielder Micheal Essien is one of the most famous footballers to ever come from the African continent.
Essien has been a journeyman in football and his name will go down as one of the finest midfielders to play the game.
The midfielder who last played for Indonesian side Persib Bandung has made global news for both wrong and right reasons in the past.
Seems his good side overrides any bad side of his illustrious career as he is one of the most decorated African Footballers.
Here are 10 times Micheal Essien made global headlines for the right reasons
1. Essien signs for Chelsea
Essien signed for English Premier League side Chelsea for a £24.4 million transfer fee and, at the time of his signing, was the most expensive African footballer in history.
2. Essien wins Chelsea Goal of the Season award
He won the Chelsea Goal of the Season award in the 2006–07 season after scoring a stunning late equaliser at home against Arsenal on 10 December 2006 in a Premier League game.
Essien is BBC African Best player of 2006
He won the 2006 BBC African footballer of the year award.
Essien excels in 2006 World Cup
- He played superbly for the Black Stars and helped Ghana become the only African team to reach the second round of the 2006 World Cup.
Essien nominated 2007 FIFA World Player of the Year
- On 10 October 2007, Essien was nominated for the prestigious 2007 FIFA World Player of the Year Award for the third consecutive year and on 21 October 2007, he was also nominated for the 2007 Ballon d’Or Award for the third consecutive year.
He was voted 15th Best Player in the World at the 2007 FIFA World Player of the Year Awards.
Essien is Chelsea Fans’ best player for 2007
- On 15 May 2007, Chelsea fans voted Essien as Chelsea Player of the Year for his contributions in the 2006–07 season, becoming the first African to receive the honour.
Essien is nominated for 2007 CAF best player
- On 12 December 2007, he was nominated for the 2007 African Footballer of the Year, the third consecutive time he had been nominated. He was runner-up to that year’s winner, Frédéric Kanouté.
Essien scores stunning goal against Barcelona
- On 6 May 2009, Essien scored a stunning left-footed volley in the second leg of the Champions League semi-final against Barcelona, a tie that Chelsea ultimately lost due to the away goal rule.
The goal was later voted as Chelsea’s Goal of the Season by the club’s fans.
Essien joins Real Madrid
- On 31 August 2012, Essien signed a season-long loan deal with Real Madrid, reuniting him with his former manager at Chelsea, José Mourinho.
At his introductory press conference with Real Madrid, Mourinho affectionally referred to Essien as “his son” while Essien referred to Mourinho as his “Daddy”.
Essien moves to Milan
- Essien signed for Italian club Milan on a one-and-a-half-year contract on 27 January 2014
Entertainment3 days ago
These Are The Richest People In Ghana
PHOTO7 days ago
Sarkodie Buys And Drinks Coconut On The Roadside (PHOTO)
Gossip7 days ago
Ghanaian Female Celebrities Who Are Still Virgins (PHOTOS)
Gossip5 days ago
Checkout photo of Stonebwoy’s beautiful mother in-law that’ll make Shatta jealous
Gossip6 days ago
Beef Alert: Shatta wale Blast Bullet… Says He is a fool
NEWS5 days ago
See Photos: Kennedy Agyapong caught “pants down”