Cristiano Ronaldo could be hit with a 12-match ban after shoving the referee during Real Madrid’s 3-1 win over Barcelona.
Portugal captain Ronaldo received two bookings in the space of three minutes, with the second coming for a dive which the referee took exception to.
Frustrated with the decision, Ronaldo turned round to protest to the referee, pushing the official in the back before storming off to the sidelines.
Referee Ricardo de Burgos Bengoetxea did not seem fazed by the incident but he did mention it in his report and Ronaldo now faces further action.
“Once the red card was shown, the player pushed me slightly in a sign of disagreement,” Bengoetxea wrote in his report.
The Spanish Footballer Federation’s regulations state that any “slight violence” towards officials in the form of a “grab, push or shake” should be punished with a ban of between four and 12 matches.
Ronaldo was initially booked for his trademark celebration where he ripped off his shirt and posed in front of the Barcelona fans.
But it proved a costly celebration when he went down in the area, trying to win a penalty.
The referee felt that he threw himself to the ground in a challenge with Samuel Umtiti and quickly brandished a second yellow card.
Ronaldo will now definitely miss the second leg of the Super Cup against Real, but could face further action for his reaction when he shoved the referee in anger.
The referee did not appear fazed by the incident, with Lucas Vazquez’s protestations appearing to take his attention away from the incident.
Ronaldo’s red card did not affect the game for Real, with Marco Asensio scoring in the closing stages to secure a 3-1 win.
Gerard Pique’s own goal had given Real the lead before Lionel Messi equalised from the penalty spot.
10 times Micheal Essien made the headlines for the right reasons
Ghanaian midfielder Micheal Essien is one of the most famous footballers to ever come from the African continent.
Essien has been a journeyman in football and his name will go down as one of the finest midfielders to play the game.
The midfielder who last played for Indonesian side Persib Bandung has made global news for both wrong and right reasons in the past.
Seems his good side overrides any bad side of his illustrious career as he is one of the most decorated African Footballers.
Here are 10 times Micheal Essien made global headlines for the right reasons
1. Essien signs for Chelsea
Essien signed for English Premier League side Chelsea for a £24.4 million transfer fee and, at the time of his signing, was the most expensive African footballer in history.
2. Essien wins Chelsea Goal of the Season award
He won the Chelsea Goal of the Season award in the 2006–07 season after scoring a stunning late equaliser at home against Arsenal on 10 December 2006 in a Premier League game.
Essien is BBC African Best player of 2006
He won the 2006 BBC African footballer of the year award.
Essien excels in 2006 World Cup
- He played superbly for the Black Stars and helped Ghana become the only African team to reach the second round of the 2006 World Cup.
Essien nominated 2007 FIFA World Player of the Year
- On 10 October 2007, Essien was nominated for the prestigious 2007 FIFA World Player of the Year Award for the third consecutive year and on 21 October 2007, he was also nominated for the 2007 Ballon d’Or Award for the third consecutive year.
He was voted 15th Best Player in the World at the 2007 FIFA World Player of the Year Awards.
Essien is Chelsea Fans’ best player for 2007
- On 15 May 2007, Chelsea fans voted Essien as Chelsea Player of the Year for his contributions in the 2006–07 season, becoming the first African to receive the honour.
Essien is nominated for 2007 CAF best player
- On 12 December 2007, he was nominated for the 2007 African Footballer of the Year, the third consecutive time he had been nominated. He was runner-up to that year’s winner, Frédéric Kanouté.
Essien scores stunning goal against Barcelona
- On 6 May 2009, Essien scored a stunning left-footed volley in the second leg of the Champions League semi-final against Barcelona, a tie that Chelsea ultimately lost due to the away goal rule.
The goal was later voted as Chelsea’s Goal of the Season by the club’s fans.
Essien joins Real Madrid
- On 31 August 2012, Essien signed a season-long loan deal with Real Madrid, reuniting him with his former manager at Chelsea, José Mourinho.
At his introductory press conference with Real Madrid, Mourinho affectionally referred to Essien as “his son” while Essien referred to Mourinho as his “Daddy”.
Essien moves to Milan
- Essien signed for Italian club Milan on a one-and-a-half-year contract on 27 January 2014
Gossip6 days ago
PHOTO: Kuami Eugene Shows Off His Big ‘BANANA’ And It’s Causing “Confusion”
Entertainment2 days ago
These Are The Richest People In Ghana
PHOTO6 days ago
The Shock on Sarkodie & Kwaw Kese’s Face when The visited Kwame Despite’s mansion in Kumasi
Gossip6 days ago
Exposed! Shatta Wale Lied About the New Zylofon Mansion – See Prove
Gossip6 days ago
Shatta Wale is One!! Ghanaian musicians are ‘Hypocrites’ – Bullet
PHOTO5 days ago
Sarkodie Buys And Drinks Coconut On The Roadside (PHOTO)